Thursday, September 27, 2012

Action Research Progress

I started my Action Research Project by meeting with our pregnancy counselor, Mrs. Jenkins, to compile a list of current pregnant students at Klein Oak high school. I also included in my list any current students that are teen moms on our campus. I was surprised at the number of pregnant teens that we have that are having their second child while in high school. I then met with my supervising principal and the pregnancy counselor to discuss the purpose of my Action Research Project. I explained that my goal was to see what success rate we had at our school with these teens and to determine what our school is doing or could do to help these young ladies graduate and further their education. After compiling the list and meeting with my superiors, I then met with a group of pregnant and teen moms to have them fill out a questionnaire. I have reviewed the answers to the questionnaire and have noted several concerns that these students have brought to my attention concerning their experience. I have requested attendance records of pregnant and teen moms from my attendance office and should have those results soon to review. The pregnancy counselor is gathering data of the graduation and dropout rates of pregnant and teen moms from previous years at Klein Oak. I have recently contacted our homebound leader in order to learn more about the process and to set up a time when I can observe a homebound instruction. After I have reviewed all the above data, I will once again meet with the subject group and interview them based on the information I received from my research. I will then interview teachers of current and past pregnant/teen moms to determine any concerns that they might have. I then plan on meeting with my supervisors to discuss my conclusions and recommend any changes to help promote the success of these young ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment